When it comes to our pets, it’s easy to say that our fur babies are part of the family. We want them to be just as happy and healthy as our real babies! Sometimes we may forget that they’re not our actual, biological children, but there’s no denying that there are some things that make our pets different from us. From their sharp canines to their fluffy tails, our pets come from completely separate species, and though we may love them like one of our own, these differences should be celebrated as well. That’s why we’ve gathered together some facts about our animal companions that we think are pretty cool!
- All puppies are born deaf since hearing is the last of their senses to develop. Once they grow to be around three weeks old though, their sense of sound becomes four times that of a human’s.
- Dogs have three eyelids, which sounds as gross as it is useful! Their third lid is important for protecting their eyes and keeping them lubricated.
- When it comes to dogs, no nose is the same. Just like how humans have unique fingerprints, dogs have unique nose prints.
- You’ve probably heard before that dogs are colorblind, but they can actually see in shades of blue and yellow.
- We all know sleep is important, but cats spend 70% of their lives asleep. That’s 13-16 hours a day. Talk about a cat nap!
- If you’ve ever watched your catwalk and found it a little funny, that’s because the only other animals with the same step pattern are camels and giraffes. These three will all move one half of their body at a time, first both right legs, then both left legs.
- Even though we’re always being told that cats love to drink milk, most adult cats are actually lactose intolerant, so don’t be mad if they turn their nose up when you offer them some cream, they’re just trying to avoid a belly ache.
- We know when our cats meow that they’re trying to talk to us. That’s because felines developed this vocalization specifically for interacting with humans. Unless they’re fighting, cats who interact with each other are completely silent.
- Most birds react to music in a positive way. Some may even dance, sing along, or imitate sounds they hear in songs.
- Horses need to take care of their teeth just like humans do! Experts can actually tell the approximate age of a horse and whether it’s male or female just by looking at its teeth.
- Most lizards don’t need to live near water to survive. In fact, some spend their entire lives without ever drinking any! This is because they get all the water they need from the food they eat.
At Iconic Paw, we know there are so many things that make our pets unique, whether it’s their wet nose and little bean toes or their outstanding personality and style. Our business loves to help people bring these traits to life through our custom pet portraits, so head over to https://iconicpaw.com/ to find out how to show your pets unique charm to the world.